Use profits and charitable donations to empower employment by providing beneficial resources and programs for all users of RetrofitCareers.com, fostering sustained, successful drug and alcohol recovery. In short, give back to those who have found employment through ecoverycareers.com while in successful, sustained recovery. If you will, small “pats on the back” for becoming a good employee with a company that used ecoverycareers.com to find them, have maintained and practiced an effective treatment program, have discovered a whole new and productive meaningful life in SUD recovery.
How it works…
Quite simply, after the administration, facilities and marketing expenses of operating ecoverycareers.com/RetrofitCareers, LLC, the profits form all those job posting fees go directly into our sister, RetrofitCareers.org non-profit 501c3 company created to create, research and develop those reward programs. This dual company/dual benefit company model is a self-sustaining business that requires no outside public funding once operating at its full potential, public funds that can be used elsewhere for other important but needy social non-profit organizations.
Again, everybody wins!
Planning Reward Programs…
• Education Assistance and/or Curriculum Programs… while we could not cover full tuition for thousands of people in recovery whom have found jobs through ecoverycareers.com, we might be able to offer programs that assist in related and important expenses; i.e. books, applications, labs, etc.
• Childcare Assistance... there are a lot of single parents or families requiring both partners to work and as everyone knows, childcare is expensive. We are looking at programs to provide at least some subsidies to cover these important expenses.
• Transportation Assistance… maybe trans passes to get to work easier or assistance with auto loan down-payments or registration/inspection fees?
• Retirement Subsidies… many older employees, for one reason or another, may not have a retirement program or fund to rely on after hitting that age. Possible matching 401k or other retirement assistance are but a few possibilities for programs we’re exploring.
• Participating Employer Company Incentives/Awards… recognizing the employing companies themselves for contributing to the development of their recovery friendly workforce is but a little thank you for their own job well done!”
It’s a unique business model. Some would say a tad altruistic and pie-in-the-sky? Especially considering the normal unemployment rate and other social and poltical issues confronting both individuals and businesses today, not to mention trying to tear down “the stigma”, that for decades, has burdoned and challenged so many thousands with SUD disease.
So be it.
To quote Theodore Roosevelt:
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
My recovery sponsor; “John the Beard” gave me this quote mounted and framed shortly after I began this undertaking. To this day it hangs on my wall at eye level next to my desk. For that I am forever humbled and grateful for my own recovery.
Dan Schmalen, Co-Founder